Posts for tag: Diabetic Winter Foot Care Tips
The winter season calls for special care of our body and feet, especially if you have a chronic condition like diabetes. The winter elements combined with numbness and decreased circulation can leave people with diabetes vulnerable to ulcers, frostbite, infections, and even amputation.
Diabetic patients must practice a regular foot care regimen year-round. Today, Dr. Joseph C. Stuto, Dr. Joseph A. Stuto, Dr. Lisa Fuchs, and Dr. Momna Younas at Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry in Brooklyn, NY, are sharing some essential tips that can help you better care for your diabetic feet this winter:
- Examine your feet carefully for any pressure points on your feet and toes. Look for anything different such as changes in color or odor, discharge, cuts, corns, or wounds. Use a mirror to check the bottom of the feet.
- The winter months tend to draw moisture away from the skin. Apply moisturizer to your feet daily to keep them soft, supple, and hydrated. Diabetes can damage nerves and decrease circulation, which can also negatively affect the function of sweat glands. Daily moisturizing is a must-do for diabetic patients to avoid dry and cracked skin.
- Keep your feet dry and warm to avoid the buildup of bacteria and other fungal infections. If your feet feel damp, change out of wet socks and shoes as soon as you can.
- Keep your toenails trimmed to avoid infections, ulcers, and ingrown toenails. Be sure to cut them straight across and not too short. Your podiatrist can help!
- Wear special diabetic shoes that ensure healthy feet.
Treat your feet well all winter by incorporating these tips into your foot care regimen. If you are worried about your feet and toes due to diabetes or have any other concerns about your feet or lower extremities, call the office of Dr. Joseph C. Stuto, Dr. Joseph A. Stuto, Dr. Lisa Fuchs, and Dr. Momna Younas of Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry to schedule an appointment. Our team of foot doctors can help treat all your acute and chronic issues. You can call us at either of our two convenient office locations: Brooklyn - Heights, NY (718) 624-7537 or Brooklyn, NY (718) 567-1403.