Do you have foot or ankle pain? Orthotics prescribed by your Brooklyn Heights, NY, podiatrists, Dr. Joseph C. Stuto, Dr. Joseph A. Stuto, and Dr. Lisa Fuchs of Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry, could help relieve your painful symptoms.
What are orthotics?
Orthotics are shoe inserts that support, align and cushion your foot. Unlike over-the-counter inserts, orthotics are designed by your podiatrist to address your specific foot issues. During your visit to the Brooklyn Heights, NY, podiatry office, your doctor will examine your feet, observe the way you walk, and make an impression of your foot.
What are the benefits of orthotics?
Wearing orthotics in your shoes can reduce or eliminate pain related to many foot conditions. The inserts can be helpful if:
- You need a little extra cushioning: Orthotics can improve your comfort if you have Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, bursitis, bunions, tarsal tunnel syndrome, or stone bruises. They also make walking more comfortable if the fat pads under your feet have thinned as you've gotten older.
- You experience frequent ankle sprains: You may be more likely to develop future sprains after a bad sprain due to ankle instability. Adding a custom orthotic to your shoe supports your foot and reduces the risk that you'll turn your ankle again.
- You have leg, hip, or back pain: Your feet support your weight and help keep your bones properly aligned. If you have a foot imbalance or turn your feet too far inward or outward when you walk, the alignment of your bones may be affected. As a result, you may develop pain in your legs, hips, or back. Supporting your feet with orthotics can help ease your pain.
- You need to reduce pressure on your feet: Pressure can make many conditions feel worse, including arthritis, plantar fasciitis, sprains, and tendonitis. Fortunately, orthotics can ease the pressure. Orthotics can also help you avoid blisters and friction if you have diabetes.
- You're prone to foot and ankle pain after running or play sports: By properly supporting your feet with orthotics, you may be less likely to develop tendonitis, bursitis, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, and other conditions.
Are you ready to find out if orthotics could help you? Call your podiatrists in Brooklyn Heights, NY, Dr. Stuto, Dr. Stuto, and Dr. Fuchs of Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry, at (718) 624-7537 to schedule your appointment.