Posts for tag: winter foot care
Winters can be challenging for our feet, especially for seniors who don’t always have the best mobility and balance to get around. The frigid temperatures, dry winter air, and walking around on icy sidewalks and driveways increases the risk of foot problems. Today, Dr. Joseph C. Stuto, Dr. Joseph A. Stuto, Dr. Lisa Fuchs, and Dr. Momna Younas at Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry in Brooklyn, NY, are sharing some important winter safety tips for seniors to help them get through the season.
- Plan ahead – Check the weather conditions before leaving home. Choose a route or pathway that’s familiar, cleared, and salted. Be careful on the inclines and uneven surfaces. Reschedule activities if you’re expecting bad weather.
- Proper footwear – Before you step outdoors, be sure to wear comfortable and durable shoes or boots that provide extra traction on snow and ice. Shoes that are too tight or loose can increase your risk of falls.
- Pace yourself – Slowing down and taking shorter strides can help you maneuver more safely. Encourage your loved ones to walk light in winter weather. Carrying a heavy bag can offset their balance and increase the chance of falls.
- Use assistive devices – Ensure that your loved ones use their walkers or canes to help them walk the outdoors comfortably and safely.
- Don’t ignore foot pain – If your feet are bothering you, make an appointment with your podiatrist.
Ensure the safety of your elderly loved ones during the winter months and beyond by taking necessary precautions. Talk to your podiatrist before the winter weather is upon us.
At Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry located in Brooklyn, NY, our board-certified podiatrists, Dr. Joseph C. Stuto, Dr. Joseph A. Stuto, Dr. Lisa Fuchs, and Dr. Momna Younas, can help treat your podiatric disorders with care, precision so you can enjoy a fun-filled and pain-free winter. We are here for you – contact us by telephone (718) 624-7537, live chat, or book on-line via our scheduling system.