Posts for tag: supportive shoes
Does your day keep you constantly on your feet? So many of our patients come to us with chronically aching feet. They spend their days standing, walking, rarely sitting down for hours and hours on end. There are many professions that require this kind of strain on the body- primarily the feet. Chefs, teachers, laborers, retail employees, guides, health care workers, hairdressers… the list goes on and on. Are you one of these people? Are your feet crying out for relief?! Most likely, they are.
Many of Dr. Stuto’s patients complain of foot pain that stems from their lifestyles. If your profession requires you to be on your feet all day, it’s hard to avoid the stress that your feet endure. You can end up with cramping, plantar fasciitis, and excessive calluses to name a few. Your ankles and legs may cramp and feel strained.
Well, there are some simple actions you can take to help your poor feet not always “take the heat!”
- WEAR COMFORTABLE AND SUPPORTIVE SHOES!! This one deserves all caps, as it is so simple, yet many people fail to do so. Especially the ladies. Too often, fashionable shoes are not comfortable. Yet, this is not always the case. There are plenty of shoe styles that are trendy and fashionable, but still comfortable! The biggest rule of thumb with this one is to avoid high heels.
- IF YOU MUST WEAR HIGH HEELS, put orthopedic inserts into them! This provides some extra cushion. Also, bring an extra pair of flats with you to work so that you may switch out throughout the day. By simply doing this, your feet get a break from time to time! IT HELPS!!
- WHENEVER POSSIBLE, STRETCH! Any time you can, do some simple leg, ankle and foot exercises. Flex and release your foot, moving it back and forth, and in circular motions. Stretching is a simple thing that can make a big difference.
- WHENEVER POSSIBLE, MASSAGE YOUR FEET (or better yet, have someone else do it) ☺
- AT NIGHT, SOAK YOUR FEET IN WARM WATER, use Epsom salts if available.
By taking these actions, you can help your feet get a little relief! However, sometimes foot pain lingers on and we just can’t seem to get a handle on it. This is our signal to call the podiatrist, and let a professional help! Dr. Stuto’s two convenient Brooklyn locations make it easy to get the help you need. Call us or request an appointment, when that pesky foot pain just won’t let up- help is only a phone call away!