Posts for tag: proper nutrition
Not only does being overweight affect your major body organs, but your feet take a beating as well. Numerous studies are reflecting on the harmful effects of excess weight on our feet.
Maintaining a healthy weight can save people from a vast array of health issues and protect your feet at the same time.
Here is a list of foot and ankle issues caused by weight gain:
- Pain in the arch – the foot arch tends to flatten as your weight increases.
- Bunions – extra weight pushes your toes into each other, especially in closed shoes.
- Hammertoes – toes tend to curl up due to excessive pressure.
- Heel or Ball pain – with the extra burden falling on the heels and the balls of your feet, they are likely to become tender and experience pain.
- Ankle pain – carrying extra weight can sprain your ankles and result in pain.
- Arthritis – If your weight continues to increase, the onset of arthritis also increases. Extra weight speeds up the wear and tear process on your bones and muscles, exposing you to many other risks like fractures and an unstable gait.
Consult your podiatrist for a healthy lifestyle that will keep your weight under control and protect your feet from unnecessary damage.
Our team of experienced and qualified experts at Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry can provide guidelines to reduce weight and treat the associated foot pain. Comfortable footwear, including padded insoles for shoes, custom orthotics, and physical therapy are effective ways to treat foot discomfort.
Do not hesitate to schedule an appointment with Dr. Joseph C. Stuto, Dr. Joseph A. Stuto, Dr. Lisa Fuchs, and Dr. Momna Younas at Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry in Brooklyn, New York, to seek high-quality foot and ankle care. Call our two office locations: Brooklyn - Heights, NY (718) 624-7537 or Brooklyn, NY (718) 567-1403 right away.
Did you know that the foods you choose to eat can either build your immune system? Therefore, at Joseph Stuto, DPM, we cannot over-emphasize the importance of consuming healthy foods that are rich in nutrients to boost your immune system.
While junk food may seem very tempting, it not only lacks nutrition, it is full of fats that are hazardous for your body.
Here are five foods that may strengthen your immune system, so that your body can fight bacterial, viral, and fungal infections:
Oysters: we know that seafood is rich in fatty amino acids; however, oysters contain large amounts of the mineral zinc, which kills viruses effectively.
Kefir (yogurt-like beverage): this fermented drink contains probiotics that are known to successfully fight respiratory infections and treat flu-like symptoms.
Sunflower seeds: these rich providers of Vitamin E are effective immunity boosters that equip your body to stay strong against infectious diseases.
Mushrooms: if you want a robust immune system, you should increase your intake of mushrooms. They contain large amounts of amino acid proteins that strengthen your system, Vitamin D that builds stronger bones and create antibodies to counter any infections.
- Spinach: leafy greens in general, and spinach in particular, are rich sources of antioxidants and vitamin C. Spinach also contains Vitamin A that enables your immune system to function properly.
A healthy intake of foods will make sure that you stay fit. However, if you still face any problems or are concerned about your feet or ankles, consult your foot doctor without delay.
You may also schedule an appointment with our board-certified podiatrist, Dr. Joseph Stuto, who is experienced in treating a range of foot-related issues like injuries and wounds, diabetic foot problems, joint and bone deformities, heel and arch pain, fungal infections, arthritis, and more. Contact our two offices in Brooklyn, NY, at (718) 624-7537 or (718) 567-1403 for a consultation.