Posts for tag: odor
Foot health is paramount to our lifestyle, health, and well-being. While our feet get us around comfortably and effortlessly, they are the ones that bear the brunt of seasons and our day-to-day activities. At Joseph Stuto, DPM we would like to urge patients to be proactive about the health of their feet and adhere to good foot care practices.
Here are some easy ways to help protect your feet:
- Daily inspection/spot-checks: Do a thorough inspection of your feet on a daily basis, if you’re not doing it already. Examine your feet from top to bottom and use a mirror if necessary. This step helps spot changes more quickly and may save you from a potential foot problem. People who have diabetes must follow this step religiously. Look out for anything usual such as scrapes, corns, skin color, bunions, swelling or blisters.
- Maintain good foot hygiene: Keeping your feet clean can help protect them from acquiring any fungal infections or bacteria. Make sure to wash your feet with lukewarm water and then dry them thoroughly, especially between the toes. Use a moisturizer to help keep the skin clean and hydrated. If your feet sweat profusely, make sure to use foot powder. Try to switch your shoes from time to time. This allows your shoes to air out properly and helps prevents foul odor.
- Trim toenails: Always cut your toenails straight across and never too short. Do not cut them in round shape or trim the corners of toenails as this can lead to ingrown toenails.
- Regular check-ups: Conditions such as diabetes or arthritis can affect your feet in more ways than one. If you have any condition that affects your feet, it needs to be monitored and evaluated properly by a certified podiatrist.
- Address your foot pain: Ignoring foot pain only aggravates the symptoms and prolongs the suffering. If there is recurring foot pain, it is important that you see a specialized foot doctor immediately for diagnosis and treatment. Timely steps can help prevent major complications.
If you’re concerned about pain or discomfort anywhere in your feet or ankles, contact our offices located in Brooklyn (718) 567-1403 and Brooklyn Heights (718) 624-7537, New York. Our board-certified podiatrist Dr. Joseph Stuto can help evaluate your foot and take the necessary measures to correct any foot and ankle disorders you may have. For more insight on foot care and foot health, you can browse through our patient education library online.