Posts for tag: good nutrition
Did you know that your eating habits impact the health of your feet too? Unhealthy eating will not only play havoc with your weight, but it will also adversely affect your bones and your feet. The condition is worsened if you have diabetes or are suffering from any heart disease.
March is National Nutrition Month and we at Joseph Stuto, DPM want to ensure that your feet stay strong and your mobility remains unhampered.
Here are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Monitor your blood sugar level. Diabetic patients have high glucose levels and face the risk of developing diabetic neuropathy or peripheral arterial disease. These conditions are characterized by poor blood flow leading to numbness and eventual nerve damage. Therefore, controlling your sugar is crucial.
- Control your weight. Being overweight is extremely unhealthy and can damage your feet as they remain under excessive stress persistently. Possible outcomes include conditions such as flat feet, heel pain, swollen ankles and the like.
- Consult a medical professional to make your diet plan and then stick to it. A nutritious plan would ensure the intake of ample vegetables and fruits. Leafy greens and colorful fruits are essential features of a well-balanced diet.
- Exercise but don’t overdo it. An exercise routine that suits your current condition will not only help your overall body but will ensure that you do not fall prey to injuries and avoid breaking down completely.
- Visit your podiatrist regularly to catch and treat any developing conditions before they aggravate.
Feel free to schedule an appointment with our experts for more information on healthy lifestyles and happy feet. Our doctors will discuss and devise a plan of action for you; however, your commitment to healthy living should be persistent and steadfast. Call us today or visit our offices in Brooklyn Heights (718) 624-7537 and Brooklyn (718) 567-1403, New York any time.