Posts for tag: examine
Foot problems are very common as you grow older. It greatly affects your health and lifestyle. At times, the problems with your feet may be the first indicator of a more serious problem such as diabetes, arthritis or other circulation problems.
At Joseph Stuto, DPM, we often see that seniors take good care of themselves, but one aspect of their health that they often neglect is good foot care. We encourage our seniors to have a proactive approach when it comes to looking after their feet.
Here are some great tips for seniors to help keep their feet in check:
- Seniors should regularly monitor or examine their feet for any changes or irregularities such as cuts, bruises and fungal infections. People with diabetes need to be extra vigilant in this regard.
- A regular foot wash is necessary to ensure cleanliness. Dry your feet properly so that the skin does not get too moist. This also helps fight off fungal infections. Apply lotion to help keep the skin from cracking and itching.
- Maintain good circulation by indulging in sports and exercise. A regular foot massage and warm feet can also aid in circulation.
- Trim your toenails properly to avoid problems like ingrown toenails and toe pain. Always remember to cut your toenails straight across and not curved.
- Wear proper footwear. Make sure they have enough toe space to avoid overlapping and crowding. Wear the right shoe for the right activity. Improper footwear can cause serious damage to the skeletal structure of the feet.
Most foot problems can easily be averted and treated if detected in their initial stage. If you want to know about foot care and foot health, call Joseph Stuto, DPM of Brooklyn, New York. Our experienced podiatrists Dr. Joseph A. Stuto and Dr. Joseph C. Stuto can help you eliminate any chances of getting a foot disorder and ensure that your feet stay healthy for years to come. Contact us at (718) 624-7537 to schedule an appointment today.