Posts for tag: beach safety
As summer starts to kick in, many people might be eager to get to the beach to cool off with family and friends. However, planning such a day in times of a pandemic can be difficult, though not entirely impossible. If you and your loved ones are ready to take certain precautions, you can have an excellent time at the beach.
Today, Dr. Joseph Stuto at Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry is sharing a few tips to stay safe at the beach.
1. Continue social distancing: Maintain a 6 feet distance in public. Find an isolated spot at the beach - it might not be the best spot, but it will surely be safer. Get a comfortable face mask. Wear it at the beach to make sure that you and the people around you are protected, thereby reducing the chances of contracting the virus.
2. Take precautions in the water: Flowing water breaks and dilutes the virus, making it less likely to spread through water. However, precautions are still needed. Make sure you maintain a safe distance from other people in the water. Wear the necessary gear, which includes nose clips, goggles, and earplugs to keep the water from getting in. Most importantly, don’t let any water get in your mouth.
3. Avoid crowds: Plan your visit to the beach beforehand. Pick a day when you expect fewer people. Also, avoid going to the public washrooms on the beach altogether if possible.
4. Wash your hands and do not touch your face: Make it a habit to wash your hands frequently and don’t touch your face unnecessarily. Wash your hands properly as per the 20-second guideline. Also, wear shoes to protect your feet from any puncture wounds, hot surfaces, or sharp objects.
5. Stay protected from the summer sun: As you head to the beach, take sunscreen and preferably an umbrella to keep yourself safe from the scorching summer sun.
In case of any trouble with your feet, feel free to contact our board-certified podiatrist, Dr. Joseph Stuto. Call us at either of our two offices in Brooklyn, NY, at (718) 624-7537 or (718) 567-1403 or make an online appointment at your convenience.