Posts for tag: Geriatric Foot Care
The United States Census Bureau reports that about 15 percent of Americans are over the age of 65, and that number is expected to increase. To your podiatrists in Brooklyn, NY Dr. Joseph A. Stuto and Dr. Joseph C. Stuto, these numbers translate to greater need for geriatric foot care. At Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry, your professional team compassionately cares for the needs of the elderly population. Learn more here.
What geriatric foot care involves
As we age, so do our feet and ankles. Limited mobility and changes in gait, skin, sensation and circulation may impede how we walk, how our feet feel and how truly healthy they are.
Common podiatric problems in the geriatric population include:
- Diabetic neuropathy and diabetic foot ulcers
- Bunions, hammertoes and other defornities
- Plantar fasciitis
- Corns and calluses
- Ingrown and fungal toenails
Your podiatrists at Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry recommend seniors receive regular podiatric exams (at least once a year). Dr. Stuto carefully examines skin and nails, checks gait and inspects for deformities and active infections. Then, he sets up a care plan to address any concerns and to maintain good health.
Advice for your feet
To keep your feet moving and pain-free, Dr. Stuto recommends the following practices:
- Wash and dry your feet daily.
- Moisturize your feet.
- Inspect your feet for scratches, sores, areas of redness or changes in the nails.
- Wear clean socks every day.
- Keep your shoes on to avoid bruising and lacerations.
- Trim your nails regularly, cutting straight across to avoid ingrown toenails.
- Stay as mobile as possible.
- Do not cross your legs when sitting because this impairs circulation.
- Wear shoes with good support and wide toe boxes. (Heels should be no higher than two inches, says the American Podiatric Medical Association.)
If you experience pain, numbness or tingling, or spot a change in skin color (blue or black) or texture, call the office right away for an appointment, particularly if you are diabetic.
We can help
At Stoto Foot Specialist Podiatry, your foot health is our priority. If you or a loved one would like to begin routine podiatric care, please contact one of our convenient offices for an appointment. For Remsen St. in Brooklyn, NY call (718) 624-7537. For the 7th Avenue office, phone (718) 567-1403.