Heel pain is a relatively common affliction that affects many people, and celebrities are no exceptions. Victoria Beckham, former Spice Girl and wife to international football star David Beckham, suffers from bunions and chronic heel pain as a result of her disdain for flats and refusal to wear any other shoes apart from high heels.
High heels are one possible cause for heel pain, but there are many reasons why one might experience discomfort in the heel area.
Dr. Joseph Stuto is a podiatrist who specializes in helping people with heel pain.
What Causes Heel Pain?
One of the leading causes of heel pain is Plantar fasciitis, which is often caused by inflammation of a thick band of tissue that connects your heel bone to your toe, clinically called the plantar fascia. This tissue runs across the bottom of your foot to create the arch.
Another reason why you might experience pain in the heel area is Achilles tendinitis, which can be diagnosed by your doctor via an MRI or an ultrasound. If you experience discomfort alongside the back of your help, that is a common symptom of Achilles tendinitis, but if the pain is on the bottom of your heel, you’re more likely to have Plantar fasciitis.
How can I prevent heel pain?
The foot contains 26 bones, the largest bone of which being your heel. If you take proper precautions, you can avoid discomfort and pain.
· Make sure your shoes provide support for your feet and fit correctly
· Stretch before you exercise
· Maintain a healthy diet- obesity can trigger various issues with the feet, so by maintaining a healthy diet, you avoid putting that extra stain on your feet.
- Wear proper shoes- while you may enjoy living on the more fashionable side of life, high heels can cause deformities that in turn, trigger pain.
How is heel pain treated?
- Icing, wrapping and stretching exercises can help
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Orthotic devices can elevate your arches and provide cushioning to aching heels
- Surgery as a last resort