The best way to treat any foot and ankle condition is to get early treatment. This measure not only averts major complications but also presents more treatment options. This certainly holds true for a medical condition called hammertoes. A hammertoe is a toe deformity generally caused due to a muscle imbalance where the middle toe gets curled and takes the shape of a hammer.
Hammertoes can be quite irritating and painful. It’s a progressive disorder, which only gets worse if it is left untreated. The best resource for hammertoes is your podiatrist.
Here are some of the early hammertoe treatments that a podiatrist may suggest:
- One of the most important and common practices to avert hammertoes is simply wearing the correct footwear. Before you put on a pair of shoes, have your feet measured by a professional. Having a shoe that fits you properly helps to avoid overlapping of the toes.
- Use padding in your footwear to avoid unnecessary friction and pressure on your toes due to body weight.
- Custom orthotic foot inserts may also help support and reduce the stress levels of your toes.
- Use splints or straps to straighten out hammertoes, but only after consulting your podiatrist.
- Exercise is key in avoiding this toe deformity. Toe exercises like stretching, toe squeeze, toe crunch and toe tap should be a part of your daily routine. This not only strengthens the muscles, but it also helps in the repositioning of the curled toe.
If you are dealing with hammertoes or any other foot and ankle condition, then it is time to call Joseph Stuto, DPM of Brooklyn, New York. There Dr. Joseph A. Stuto and Dr. Joseph C. Stuto can help you fix your toe deformity, as well as all your foot and ankle problems. Contact us at (718) 624-7537 and schedule an appointment today.