At Joseph Stuto, DPM, as we progress into the month of May, our commitment to Arthritis Awareness increases steadily. No amount of emphasis on joint protection is enough to capture the importance of the 33 joints that comprise each one of our feet!
With age, the cartilage in these joints can diminish, causing friction between the joints leading to inflammation, pain, and possibly irreparable damage.
Therefore, it is absolutely necessary to pay attention to your foot joints. Here are the three most common risks that they face:
What can you do to care for your joints?
- Indulge in light but regular physical activity. Exercise flexes the muscles and makes them strong, which ultimately protects the joints from injuries.
- Warming up before exercising is crucial to prevent your muscles and joints from long-term damage.
- Excess body weight is harmful to the joints as it exerts extra pressure on the feet. Maintaining or reducing weight to a healthy level is essential for joint protection.
- Your selection of food also affects your weight and the health of your joints. Certain foods like berries, nuts, and leafy vegetables have anti-inflammatory effects on the joints, making their consumption beneficial. Moreover, avoiding sugary and oily foods is good for your overall health and body weight.
- Wear protective gear like ankle braces, knee pads and the like when taking part in sports. Avoiding joint injuries right from the start goes a long way against fighting arthritis and similar diseases.
If you are experiencing any joint pain or have suffered an injury, visit our podiatrists at our two convenient office locations in Brooklyn (718) 567-1403 and Brooklyn Heights (718) 624-7537. Please call us and schedule an appointment without any delay. Our board-certified podiatrist Dr. Joseph Stuto will thoroughly examine your feet and carry out the required treatment accordingly. Be assured that your feet are safe in our hands!