While most ankle sprains occur due to sports activities, it is common to experience sprains due to other reasons as well such as tripping, injuries and the like.
There is no doubt that ankle sprains need to be treated by a doctor or a medical professional; however, here are a few tips to safeguard your ankles effectively:
- The ‘RICE’ method is quite well known to treat ankle sprains, i.e. rest, ice application, compression, and elevation.
- Rest is critical as any damaged tissue inside your feet and ankles will not get any time to recuperate and return to health if you do not allow any time between your physical activities.
- Physical therapy not only protects your feet and ankles, but it also helps in speeding up the healing process and alleviating issues like joint pains, bone deformities, arch issues, etc.
- Wearing the right footwear that is shock-absorbent and softer on the heels is useful to enhance the health of your feet. Sudden movements, especially in intense workouts, may result in sprains and injuries if proper footwear is not used.
- Orthotic inserts are also an excellent tool to ensure stability and balance, thereby reducing your chances of spraining your ankles.
At Joseph Stuto, DPM, our podiatrist is not only equipped with the latest technology but also possesses vast experience in treating a diverse range of foot conditions like fungal toenails, bunions, arthritis, diabetic nerve damage to the feet, ingrown toenails, fractures, sprains and more.
If you have any foot pain or if you require any further information regarding the health of your feet, feel free to contact us or visit any of our offices located in Brooklyn Heights (718) 624-7537 and Brooklyn (718) 567-1403. Our board-certified podiatrist Dr. Joseph Stuto can examine your feet and prescribe the right course of treatment accordingly.