How your podiatrist in Brooklyn, New York can help
If you have toenail fungus, you’re probably embarrassed to show your feet. Fortunately, you can get rid of toenail fungus. Dr. Joseph Stuto wants to share the facts about this annoying foot problem. He has two convenient office locations in Brooklyn, New York to help you.
You may be at higher risk of toenail fungus if you:
- Are older or have reduced blood flow
- Are diabetic, or have a weakened immune system
- Sweat heavily or have a history of athlete’s foot
- Have a skin condition like psoriasis
Toenail fungus can show up as a small white or yellow spot beneath your toenail. The fungus gets larger as it goes deeper underneath your toenail. In addition to the growing fungus underneath your nail, there are other signs and symptoms you may notice including:
- A foul odor or pain in your toes
- Crumbly, brittle toenails
- Darkened and thickened toenails
- Distorted, oddly shaped toenails
- Separation of the toenail from the nail bed
You can try to treat toenail fungus yourself with some home remedies like these:
- Trimming and thinning your toenails
- Applying over-the-counter antifungal creams
If home remedies don’t help, it’s time to see Dr. Stuto. He has several effective treatments for toenail fungus, including laser treatment. Heat and light are produced by the laser which kills the fungi. Laser treatment is conservative because only the fungi is targeted, not healthy tissue. The fungi is eliminated without harming your healthy toe. In addition, he may recommend these therapies to treat your toenail fungus:
- Prescription strength oral anti-fungal medication
- Prescription strength topical anti-fungal medication
- Surgery to remove part or your entire fungal nail
After your toenail fungus is gone, it’s important to prevent future fungal infections. Fungi thrive in moist, warm environments so always wear sandals or flip-flops when using public showers or swimming pools. Wash and dry your feet thoroughly. Wear moisture-wicking socks and breathable shoes.
Stop hiding your toes and bring them out into the open! Get rid of stubborn toenail fungus by calling the expert, Dr. Joseph Stuto, with two office locations in Brooklyn, New York. Call today and protect your feet!