Some professions require people to be on their feet most of the time. For example, construction workers, nurses, on-field reporters and the like usually find themselves on the move for the most part of the day.
If you have a similar profession, you need to make sure that your feet are looked after in the best possible manner. At Joseph Stuto, DPM we suggest five ways to give your feet a break:
- Be careful of your shoes: the type of shoes you choose to wear will impact the health of your feet. It is advised to opt for soft cushioned shoes that also provide arch and ankle support for your feet. Size matters as your feet should be comfortable and your walk should be stable.
- Rest your feet: whenever you get some time off, rest your feet by elevating them. Flexing your ankles, arch and toes will help too. In case you are unable to sit down for a while, shifting your weight from one side to another will reduce extra stress from your feet.
- Drink lots of water: standing in one position for a long duration can cause swelling or fluid retention. Staying hydrated will protect your ankles and feet from such conditions.
- Physical activity and compression: indulging in physical activities that are less strenuous on the feet like swimming, rowing etc. will also relieve your feet from overexertion. Applying compression will improve blood circulation and speed up the healing process to repair any damaged tissues in your feet.
- Go to your podiatrist: common issues encountered due to excessive usage of feet include flat feet, plantar fasciitis, swelling, Achilles tendons and more. These conditions can worsen and hamper your ability to move about if not treated timely. Schedule an appointment with our board-certified podiatrist Dr. Joseph Stuto today.
Call or visit us at our two convenient office locations in Brooklyn (718) 567-1403 and Brooklyn Heights (718) 624-7537 in case of any pain or discomfort that you may be experiencing. Our specialists can answer your queries and lead your feet in the right direction.