A typical summer day would generally generate crowds of people on the beach, but not this summer. The novel coronavirus is still out there, and that means we should all take precautions to stay well and safe during these last days of summer.
If you are planning a trip to the beach anytime soon, here are some important tips to keep in mind:
- Check the rules: Beach rules may vary from one municipality to another. Before you head out to the beach, make sure you are aware of the rules (even new ones) of the beach. Some beaches may have limitations like imposing capacity restrictions, wearing masks or facial coverings, sanitization protocols, and limit occupancy in restrooms.
- Keep social distancing: Stay six feet apart from others (both in and out of the water). The more you interact with people at the beach, especially those that don't live with you, the higher the risk of getting infected with COVID-19.
- Avoid crowds: If you are considering going to the beach, make sure you avoid crowds. Find a relatively empty beach near you or go at a time when there are fewer crowds. Travel light in case you have to pack up quickly if the beach gets overly crowded. Carry the necessary provisions and do not share stuff.
- Wear shoes: Prevent foot injuries like puncture wounds, burns, and fungal infection at the beach by wearing supportive shoes. Water shoes and flip-flops are an excellent choice for the beach because they are easy to slip on and provide the support and protection your feet need.
- Other safety measures: Do not forget to put that sunscreen on you, wear protective clothing, and keep yourself well hydrated.
If you are planning a day at the beach, please plan ahead and be cautious. Pay attention to the dangers lurking around, especially if you have diabetes. If you are suffering from foot pain, contact your foot doctor for the best care.
You can reach our Brooklyn - Heights, NY, office at (718) 624-7537 or Brooklyn, NY, office at (718) 567-1403, and schedule a visit with your podiatrist here at Stuto Foot Specialist Podiatry, Dr. Joseph Stuto.