At Joseph Stuto, DPM, we find many patients suffering from foot disorders due to their professions. Either they have to stand for extended hours, or they are on the move for most of the day. In both situations, their feet are under heavy stress.
Nevertheless, here are a few useful tips to relieve your feet from all that burden and feel relaxed at the end of your day:
- Wear comfortable shoes that provide adequate support to your feet and allow you to work efficiently throughout the day.
- Keep changing your shoes throughout the week so that they get enough time and air to stop bacteria or fungi from accumulating inside them.
- Use your breaks wisely: you may want to get off your feet during this time and keep them elevated to avoid swelling.
- Massage and compression are very effective in reducing pain and allowing good blood circulation. Flexing your ankles, feet, and toes also help in relieving pain and easing constricted muscles.
- If you experience burning or inflammation after a long day of work, applying ice on your feet will help reduce the swelling and soothe any unpleasant sensations.
- Standing in one place can lead to fluid retention in the ankles. Therefore, it is necessary to drink sufficient amount of water to avoid edema or swelling of your feet and ankles.
- Visiting your foot doctor is essential if you notice any unusual changes in your feet. Delaying your visit will only aggravate the problem.
If you feel that your feet are suffering and need help, or are unsure whether they are in optimal condition or not, we suggest you consult our board-certified podiatrist Dr. Joseph Stuto for a thorough examination, treatment, and care. Call us at (718) 624-7537 or visit our Brooklyn Heights office right away.