If you have elderly people in your neighborhood, be sure that you look after them and help them out during this quarantine period.
It will be tough to help them out since they are the most vulnerable at this time. By running their errands, you may end up exposing them and yourselves to the virus by carrying it along with you.
- Many communities have organizations and charities that are looking after the elderly and tending to their needs. Contact them for more information and find out ways in which you can contribute.
- Stay in touch with your neighbors through phone and video calls. Let them know that you are there for them and that they can contact you in case of an emergency or if they require help.
- If you offer to get their groceries or get them delivered for them, make sure that you and the store operators are following the proper precautionary measures required to safeguard against this virus.
- Taking out their trash or offering to clean their stairway areas is another way to help, especially since cleaning services are probably discontinued.
- They may be reluctant to take their pets out for a walk or to the vet. You can offer to provide these services while maintaining social distance and without compromising on your safety.
- Unfortunately, some elderly people have fallen prey to fraudulent schemes of those trying to take advantage of them even during the crises. Make your neighbors aware of such cases and tell them what they should look out for to avoid being in such a situation. Also, share relevant contact numbers with them in case of an emergency.