Posts for: June, 2014
Now that summer really is just around the corner, you may find yourself preparing for trips to the beach to enjoy some fun in the sun. As you gear up for the beach by putting on your favorite flip-flops, to your dismay, you may notice that you have fungus on one or all of your toenails. If this has happened to you, don’t fret. Our Brooklyn, NY podiatrist, Dr. Joseph Stuto, can help eliminate and prevent unattractive fungal toenails.
What is Toenail Fungus?
Even if you haven’t experienced it, you know about toenail fungus and its embarrassing effects. Toenail fungus is one of the most common dermatological disorders of the foot, and it affects about half of Americans by the age of 70. While this is a common infection, it is important to understand contributing factors so that you can avoid the onset of this embarrassing infection. Some factors that contribute to the development of toenail fungus include:
- A history of athlete’s foot
- Injury to the nail bed
- Sports/shoe trauma
- Excessive perspiration
- Circulatory problems
Toenail fungus can be picked up in damp areas such as public gyms, shower stalls or swimming pools. And once you pick up the fungus, it can be passed to your family members as well, which is why it is important to visit our office for the best care available.
How to Prevent Pesky Toenail Fungus
When it comes to protecting your feet and nails from harmful infections, prevention is key. Our Brooklyn podiatrist offers the following tips to help you in avoiding toenail fungus:
- Wear shower shoes at public pools and locker rooms
- Never share nail clippers or files
- Wear dry shoes that allow air to circulate around your feet
- Avoid injury to your nail, such as cutting it too short
- Inspect your feet and toes regularly
- Trim your toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenail infections
- Wear open-toed shoes if weather permits
- Avoid wearing nail polish and disinfect pedicure tools
- Wear clean, dry cotton socks that provide breathing room and whisk away moisture
However, if you do develop toenail fungus, we offer toenail laser fungus treatments in Brooklyn for the best results. Contact our Brooklyn foot doctor today to learn more about toenail laser fungus treatment for the removal of this embarrassing infection.