Posts for category: proper footwear
With summer temperatures still lingering, flip-flops are a popular choice for footwear. These easy slip-ons are undoubtedly the breeziest shoes you can find to beat the heat. However, are they really a healthy option for your feet?
At Joseph Stuto, DPM we want our clients to be aware of their advantages and disadvantages.
- Convenience and ease of wearing are two of the most visible pros of flip-flops.
- They are available in large varieties and usually do not cost a lot.
- Flip-flops are best suited to protect your feet in places like gym lockers, pool showers, etc.
- They are extremely harmful to the shape of your feet as they provide no support to the arches and expose the heels to excess stress.
- They do not have the required grip to hold your feet in place. Therefore, chances of tripping or falling are enhanced while wearing flip-flops.
- Lack of grip forces your toes to hold the strap in between the shoes, increasing the risk of developing bunions.
- There is also the possibility of developing blisters between the toes due to constant rubbing and friction.
- Flip-flops are not suitable for extended durations, especially if your day includes a considerable amount of walking or running.
- They lack shock absorption.
Despite their attractiveness, it’s not advisable to wear these shoes frequently. You may also fall prey to heel pain or plantar fasciitis if you do not limit your use of flip-flops.
In case you are suffering from heel pain or feel any discomfort, we urge you to see your podiatrist for the best care. At Joseph Stuto, DPM, our board-certified podiatrist Dr. Joseph Stuto treats a variety of foot and ankle conditions such as arthritis, heel pain, diabetic foot problems, bunions, flat feet, ankle sprains, and sports injuries. For all your foot and ankle problems, contact our offices located in Brooklyn Heights (718) 624-7537 and Brooklyn (718) 567-1403, New York.