Posts for category: nutrition
Did you know that what you eat has a direct impact on the health of your feet? Eating healthy foods provide good nutrition and enable you to maintain your weight. As a result, your feet (that bear all that weight) are also stress-free, strong and at ease.
Here are some notable benefits of healthy eating to your feet:
- Vegetables, especially leafy greens, are a great source of calcium for the bones. Stronger bones mean happy feet!
- Fruits have numerous benefits too: blueberries have anti-inflammatory effects, oranges provide calcium and vitamin C that helps bones and tendons, and apples have a lot of iron – all of which are nutrients for healthy feet.
- Certain fish that are rich in fatty acids provide vitamin D to the body that helps in absorbing calcium. They also help maintain cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of diabetes.
- Dairy products strengthen bones and protect the feet from fractures and other bone deformities.
Eating healthy foods is a service you owe your feet to keep you mobile, fit, and active. Some of the dangers that your feet encounter include:
- Arthritis: A condition in which your feet suffer from inflammation of joints. It is painful and can lead to immobility, as your feet bear the weight of your body.
- Peripheral neuropathy: As the nerves are damaged, your feet suffer from loss of sensation, lack of blood circulation, numbness, and severe pain. The most common cause of this condition is “diabetes” which needs prevention by following a balanced diet and treatment through timely diagnosis and medical care.
- Flat feet: It’s a condition in which the bones of your feet are placed under stress as the arch either disappears over time or is nonexistent since birth. The most common reason cited for flat feet is being overweight.
Healthy foods also affect your energy level and enable you to stay active. We can give you guidance on a healthy diet and proper foot care. Call Joseph Stuto, DPM at (718) 624-7537 or (718) 567-1403 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Joseph Stuto at our offices conveniently located in Brooklyn and Brooklyn Heights.