Posts for category: nerve pain
In order to protect your feet, you need to know what neuroma is – it is a condition characterized by thickening of the tissue surrounding the nerve in the ball of your feet leading to the toes. It is also known as “nerve tumors;” however the tumors are non-threatening and non-cancerous.
The most commonly cited causes for the development of neuromas are prolonged compression of the toes and excessive weight on the ball of the foot that irritates the nerve and inflames the tissue around it.
The symptoms of neuromas are gradual; however, if treatment is not appropriate, the condition can aggravate and become unbearable. Early symptoms include:
- Pain or burning in the ball of the foot
- Piercing pain in the toes when pressure is applied
- Numbness or pricking sensation
- Feeling of a hard lump inside the ball of your foot while walking
- When wearing shoes, it may seem like a sharp object inside the shoe is hurting your foot
At Joseph Stuto, DPM we recommend that the following measures be adopted to avoid neuromas:
- Wear comfortable shoes that have ample space to accommodate your toes
- Avoid wearing heels that are higher than 2 inches
- Use customized orthotics to support your feet and safeguard them from unnecessary stress
- Padding inside shoes is helpful to avoid friction and irritation caused by hard surfaces
- Ice application reduces swelling and provides pain relief
- Take a break from the activities that may be triggering your pain and allow some idle time for your feet to recuperate
If the pain does not subside in the ball of your foot, visit your podiatrist right away. Visit or call our offices located in Brooklyn Heights (718) 624-7537 and Brooklyn (718) 567-1403 to schedule an appointment with our board-certified podiatrist Dr. Joseph Stuto to get your feet examined and treated effectively.