Posts for category: Ankle pain, sprained ankle
Your ankles are complicated structures of bones, muscles, ligaments, and tendons. A sprain occurs when one or more of these ligaments become overstretched or torn due to some abnormal foot position.
Here are some reasons for ankle sprains:
- Sudden or unexpected movement exerts unwarranted pressure on the ankles, especially while running and other competitive sports like tennis.
- Twists or rolling of your feet can damage the tendons and result in a sprain.
- If you have sprained your ankles once and did not let it heal properly, chances are that the frequency of your sprains might increase.
- Repeated sprains can even end in bone fractures.
How can you treat ankle sprains? Here are a few tips:
- A minor sprain can be addressed with rest, ice application, compression and elevation (RICE treatment).
- At Joseph Stuto, DPM, we urge our patients to consult their podiatrists right away to avoid any long-term damage to your ankles and feet. Our podiatrists will perform any necessary tests and x-rays so that the right course of treatment can be administered.
- Foot specialists may recommend flexing exercises and stretches that enable the muscles to regain their strength.
- Orthotic devices may be used to correct your gait and give adequate support to your ankles and feet for stability and balance.
Our board-certified podiatrist Dr. Joseph Stuto provides a wide array of podiatric services to help you maintain healthy and pain-free feet. Our experts are experienced in treating foot and ankle problems such as sports injuries, diabetic foot problems, stress fractures, flat feet, bone and joint protrusions, fungal toenail and skin infections and more. Our offices are located in Brooklyn Heights (718) 624-7537 and Brooklyn (718) 567-1403 for your ease and convenience. Feel free to contact us for information and appointments.